So the last three days I've been cruising the Germany / France border both in Strasbourg, France and Freiburg, Germany. Wow. What beautiful cities. I have learned to have so much appreciation for cities that aren't crawling with tourists because then you know you're getting the real thing. Not to say there aren't tourists in either cities, but it just felt like I was really seeing France and Germany.
Strasbourg was great because I was able to stay with my friend Derick who went to the U for three years and is now just moving back to Strasbourg where he lived 8 years ago to live with his sister and go to school there. It's a very different town from other cities in France because of the strong German influence, so that was really neat to see. It had been so long since Derick had lived there that my exploring was kind of new to him too.
The first day we walked around the city, saw the Cathedral which was gorgeous as always, checked out some high end shopping stores and the University where he'll be starting in the fall. Strasbourg is home to France's largest University which is pretty cool. I saw the Bibliotheque Nationale et Universitaire which is the second largest library in France with over 3,000,000 books (Thanks Wikipedia). We also went and hung out in a Parc called the Citadelle which is built out of the remains of a 17th century fortress so that was pretty cool.
The next day, we went back into town where I bought my long awaited Longchamps bag, a very popular designer French purse. I just about drooled in the store, I was that proud. Then we took the tram up to the Counsel of Europe where we checked out the European Parliament building and another pretty awesome park called Parc de l'Orangerie where they have some really beautiful gardens and even a little zoo. The rest of the night was pretty quiet, a nice dinner with his sister who was so sweet to let me stay there and cook dinner for me and some facebook chatting etc.
This morning, I woke up and took the train from Strasbourg to Freiburg and my friend Pete who is studying through the same organization I am in Freiburg met me at the station. Pete showed me around the city for awhile. I saw the cathedral which was one of the few things to survive bombings in the World Wars and that kegs are still transported around the city by a horses in a cart. Super random. Freiburg also has these little running water things through the streets that were the former sewer system but now they just run with fresh water from the river. The story is if you trip in one you're going to marry someone from Freiburg. Well... it only took me about 20 minutes after that to step in it... so forget my French wedding, looks like I'm marrying a German.
Then Pete went off to study for his first midterm and left me to do some independant exploring. I learned today that I must attract French speakers that don't actually come from France because today a Crotian man approached me on the street and asked me if I spoke French and we got to talking and he ended up getting me coffee. For the most part, it was wonderful practice and interesting to hear about some strangers life, except when he kept trying to invite me to his house. Luckily, I'm a smart cookie and I know not to go anywhere with strangers but it was enjoyable just the same. Then the rest of the afternoon, I did some more wandering and people watched at a cafe with a Hefeweizen.
Once Pete was done studying, he and 3 of his friends and I went to a biergarten on the top of a huge hill that had an incredible view of Freiburg. If i was posting on my own computer I'd add the photos but those will have to come later. But wow. Probably one of the most perfect locations for a biergarten. I felt very German drinking my Hefeweizen Dunkel as I looked over the German city. One plus I'll give Germany, they have some really beautiful, colorful buildings. Not that France isn't gorgeous, but they need to start painting their batiments (buildings) the array of colors that Germany does. Wow.
Tomorrow.... ARLES! :)
Hugs and Kisses!
Maura
No comments:
Post a Comment